What is satisfying content? According to Google and their search quality evaluator guidelines 2017, it is:
“4.1 Characteristics of High Quality Pages
High quality pages are satisfying and achieve their purpose well. High quality pages exist for almost any purpose, from giving information to making you laugh.
What makes a High quality page? A High quality page may have the following characteristics:
● High level of Expertise, Authoritativeness, and Trustworthiness (EAT), including the EAT of the publisher and/or individual author for news articles and information pages on YMYL topics.
● A satisfying amount of high quality MC.
● Satisfying website information and/or information about who is responsible for the website or satisfying customer service information, if the page is primarily for shopping or includes financial transactions.
● Positive website reputation for a website that is responsible for the MC on the page.”
Content has to be satisfying for the writer and for the user.
For example in content marketing, content is often satisfying for the user but does not convert and so isn’t satisfying for the writer…
Win – customer satisfaction: interesting content, not necessarily relevant to the brand
Win – company writing the content marketing material
Apparent-win: loads of traffic and brand awareness
Actual-loose – brand who gets a lot of drive through traffic and no sales + large overhead costs.
Reiterating, my core thesis:
– content must be satisfying for everyone (brand + user)
– to be truly satisfying (engaging) content is the ‘right’answer to a specific question: a search query.